Senior living arrangements come in different forms, and there is no single solution for every elderly person. People often confuse old age homes with nursing homes due to their characteristic similarities. However, there are stark differences through which you can tell them apart. This article will walk you through that so you can figure out which of the two is best suited for your loved one.
What Makes The Difference?
Old age homes aim to provide elderly people freedom, leisure activities, socialization opportunities, and adequate healthcare facilities within their premises. Nursing homes, on the contrary, are for senior citizens suffering from illness or the elderly who need constant care.
It is difficult to compare old age homes and nursing homes, as each of them has its own features and benefits that can overlap due to their similarities. You can understand the differences much better if you evaluate how they function separately.
Old Age Home
Photographer: Vlad Sargu | Source: Unsplash
Old age homes, also known as assisted living or retirement homes, are independent facilities specifically designed for the elderly. These homes aim to allow retirees to lead peaceful lives without putting their health at risk by providing care and rehabilitation services on demand.
Senior citizens who live in old folks’ homes live independently while undergoing medication, counseling, or recovery. At Noble Care, we also have retirement resorts where the retirees can feel at home.
When to pick an old age home
An old age home can be a good choice for a senior citizen who:
- Needs minor nursing support or medication but doesn’t need full-time medical treatment
- Needs assistance with everyday tasks such as dressing and bathing
- Is looking for a decent lifestyle without lawn care or home repairs
- Wants to live an active life but lacks transportation facilities
- Is interested in social activities or looking for new friends
- Wants to engage in fun activities that cater to their interests, such as golf, painting, or religious studies, in a homely environment.
Photographer: Georg Arthur Pflueger | Source: Unsplash
Elderly people with severe health issues, be it physical or mental, are generally admitted to nursing homes. Some suffer from dementia, a mental illness that affects intelligence, character, and memory. At nursing homes, highly trained nurses assist residents with bathing, dressing, walking, and other daily activities.
Despite the fact that nursing homes welcome end-of-life treatment, they aim to keep the patients entertained. Nursing homes provide leisure opportunities for their patients keeping in mind their health concerns.
When to pick a nursing home
A nursing home may be appropriate for elderly loved ones who:
- Need round-the-clock care due to chronic illness or deteriorating health
- Aren’t able to feed themselves on their own
- Have been injured and require extensive rehabilitation
- Require services such as healthy meals and on-site facilities such as salons, religious services, and medical appointments, which are not available in a home-care environment.
- Desire more daily engagement and contact than in-home nursing would provide
- Suffer from progressive disorders, including but not limited to Parkinson’s disease, Dementia, and Multiple Sclerosis.
Explaining The Difference Between Old Age Homes and Nursing Homes
There are some fundamental differences between old age homes and nursing homes, such as:
- Old age homes are staffed 24 hours a day, and a part of the staff consists of qualified nurses taking care of the elderly, if and when needed.
On the flip side, nursing homes would provide the same kind of assistance with an additional benefit. They have registered nurses on standby round the clock. Residents living in nursing homes often need constant care from doctors and nurses.
- Staff members at an old age home assist people with personal care needs such as washing, dressing, going to the bathroom, and engaging in social or physical activities.
Nurses at nursing homes take constant care of the elderly. So, they provide personal care support as well. But as the residents here generally suffer from sickness, they often stay in bed all the time.
- When required, old age homes call in the local nurses to prescribe medications and treat any complicated wounds.
At nursing homes, you’ll always find qualified nurses who can recognize any change in a person’s health and provide medical services accordingly. As such, a nursing home is often the best place for someone with a complicated medical condition.
- As many retirees often choose old age homes, they make conventional beds and sleeping arrangements. Most old age homes struggle with residents with mobility issues.
Unlike old age homes, a nursing home has special beds and a range of arrangements for anyone with a mobility issue. At many nursing homes, patients can visit specialized doctors.
Which One To Choose?
Both old folks’ homes and nursing homes offer special care in their own ways. Unless a person has specific medical conditions that necessitate the presence of a licensed nurse around the clock, there is no direct line between the two.
Other services such as Respite Cares offer temporary services varying from days to weeks and even months. Another type of service is Home Nursing, where they provide in-home services via professional nurses. Home nursing offers a variety of assistance to the elderly at home to help them live a healthy life.
When researching care choices, it is important to understand what the individual’s future needs might be. If you’re uncertain, speak to your doctor or assisted living specialists regarding your beloved one’s needs, and they will help you make the best decision.
Senior living options have grown over the last few decades as the needs and desires of older adults have shifted. Finding the best choice for your loved one’s preferences is critical to keep them healthy and safe.
As Asia’s No.1 Elderly Care services, Noble Care can help you navigate the various senior living choices and find the right choice for your loved one. If you have any queries, feel free to reach out to us, and we will guide you to the best of our abilities.